Monday, 27 January 2014


To try and catch up and get back into a regular schedule, I have some very short reviews to share on the blog :)



Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend (Confessions #2) by Louise Rozett
Published June 25, 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Source: the publisher
Rating: 3.5 paws

From the blurb: Rose Zarelli has big plans for sophomore year—everything is going to be different. This year, she’s going to be the talented singer with the killer voice, the fabulous girl with the fashionista best friend, the brainiac who refuses to let Jamie Forta jerk her around...
...but if she’s not careful, she’s also going to be the sister who misses the signals, the daughter who can only think about her own pain, the “good girl” who finds herself in mid-scandal again (because no good deed goes unpunished) and possibly worst of all...the almost-girlfriend.
When all else fails, stop looking for love and go find yourself.

Mini review:

I enjoyed Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend and was definitely looking forward to this sequel. It covers a lot of great topics for teens: death, grief, abuse, drug use, bullying, friendship, school, and love -just to name a few. At times it did feel like there was a lot going on plot-wise, but each topic was essential to the story and all of them are important subjects for teens these days.



Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff
Published January 1, 2103 by Simon and Schuster
Source: the publisher
Rating: 4 paws

From the blurb: Hannah’s best friend, Lillian, starved herself to death six months ago, and Hannah’s been haunted by her ever since. But now Lillian’s ghost has an urgent task for Hannah – someone is killing girls in their suburban neighbourhood, and the victims want justice. Drawn into a world of ghost girls and horrifying secrets, Hannah slowly pieces the clues together, starting with the child-like paper valentines the killer leaves on each body. Bur her investigations are bringing her into the Valentine Killer’s orbit. How long before he strikes again?

Mini review:

I've always wanted to read something by Brenna Yovanoff and I really enjoyed my first experience of her writing. Paper Valentine was so atmospheric, I could feel the heavy heat Hannah’s town was experiencing, I adored the awkwardness between her and Finnegan, I felt chilled each time another body was discovered. The ending wasn't too obvious and it was a satisfying way to finish the story.


Thank you to the fantastic people at Harlequin and Simon & Schuster for my review copies.



4 comments:

Jenn said...

I see Paper Valentine every time I go into the YA room at work and have never even taken it off the shelf. Due to your mini review, I really want to read it!

Keertana said...

Ooh, I'm glad to see you enjoyed your first taste of Yovanoff! I've been meaning to read her works for a while now, so I really do need to get on it soon. Wonderful mini-reviews, Mandee! :)

Bookworm1858 said...

I love the Almost series by Rozett-I think the writing is so perfect for the story they tell and I can't wait for a new installment

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I really want to read Paper Valentine. I haven't read a book by this author either, but I do hope too soon. glad you enjoyed it.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Ladies of YA Podcast

Ladies of YA Podcast
Joins us for tea & book chat!

The VeganYANerds

My Photo
We're a bunch of YA-loving vegans!

Rating Guide

5 paws = LOVED it
4 paws = really liked it
3 paws = liked it
2 paws = didn't like it
1 paw = really didn't like it/not for me/couldn't finish

Followers

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Favourite Book Blogs

Grab our blog button!

Grab our blog button!

AWW 2013 Challenge

AWW 2013 Challenge
Read books by Aussie women!

Blog header by My Zoetrope

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Search

Loading...