Tuesday, 21 January 2014


To try and catch up and get back into a regular schedule, I have some very short reviews to share on the blog :)

Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth
Published October 22, 2013 by Harper Collins
Source: the publisher
Rating: 4 paws

From the blurb: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Mini review: 

I was not looking forward to reading this after Insurgent, which I found to be a huge let down. So, I was surprised when I enjoyed this. The story moved at a good pace and there was more communication between Tris and Four. I’ve read that Roth always knew how she was going to end the series and I’m glad she went with her planned ending, rather than changing it to make some readers happy. I found the events true to the characters and true to the story and was satisfied while also being sad.



How to Convince a Boy to Kiss You (Aurora Skye #2) by Tara Eglington
Published November 1, 2013 by Harper Collins
Source: the publisher
Rating: 3 paws

From the blurb: Now that Aurora has found her prince, she is super keen to lock lips again with dreamy boy next door Hayden Paris. But it seems that wherever Aurora goes disaster follows, and despite her best intentions Hayden ends up in the emergency department of the local hospital.Meanwhile, Aurora’s friend Jelena is campaigning for school captain and persuades Aurora to run her Find a Prince/Princess Program as part of the election campaign…with interesting results. Matchmaking, double-dating, YouTube tutorials on kissing, and even a love compatibility calculator come into play – and yet it seems the course of true love rarely does run smooth and Aurora may need the wand of a fairy princess to turn this chaos into a fairytale.

Mini review: 

I absolutely adored How to Keep a Boy from Kissing You and was so looking forward to the sequel. Aurora is still her complex and entertaining self, but I didn't enjoy the plot of this book as much as the previous book. I think it had to do with Aurora’s self-doubt and constant over-analysing, and the way she kept pushing Hayden away, rather than talking to him. I understand why she did it, it goes back to the way her mother abandoned her and her father, but it was frustrating to read about. I do think this is a great book for teens, it covers the anxiety felt over dating, kissing, parties etc and it also took a look at the consequences of having a photo taken of you without your permission.


Thank you to the wonderful people at Harper Collins for the review copies.

8 comments:

prakash sharma said...

Adult Dating- Adultranch.com.au is a leading Adult Dating site that offers horny men and lusty women the opportunity to find each other, interact and have fun online and offline with no strings attached.

Melanie said...

The author was very brave to pull that twist at the end of Allegiant, I guess I agree, it was realistic but I did feel a little angry at the same time.

Great mini reviews, hun! <33

Keertana said...

I'm surprised to finally see a positive rating of Allegiant! I haven't read it yet and, honestly, am not sure if I want to. I wonder if I'd prefer just creating my own ending in my mind for Tris and Four since Allegiant seems to have many plot holes, though I suspect I'd really enjoy the ending. Lovely reviews, Mandee!

Pooja. S said...

Ugh, the twist killed me a bit. Still recovering from it.

Cait said...

I looooved Allegiant! I know a lot of people were outraged and slammed the series, but I think it fit perfectly with everything Veronica Roth said throughout the books. Loved it. Insurgent is probably my least favourite of the three (but it still has 5 stars!!) I've read How To Keep A Boy From Kissing You and it was absolutely adorable! Bit nervous about the second one now, though.

Alex (A Girl, Books, OtherThings) said...

The Auroa Skye book sounds adorbs! I shall try to hunt it down.

Jenn said...

I agree with your point about Allegiant, but the ending still made me rather sad. But I respect Roth for sticking to her planned ending.

Belle of the Literati said...

"I’m glad she went with her planned ending, rather than changing it to make some readers happy. I found the events true to the characters and true to the story and was satisfied while also being sad."--->THIS! YES! My thoughts exactly! I said in my review that I totally commend her for ending the series how she saw it going and not because of popular opinion. I think it totally made sense for the characters--as upsetting as it may be--and that's what makes a good conclusion. I actually disliked the entire rest of the with the exception of the big finale. I just felt like it was the same story in a different setting but whatevs. Theo James is hot, we can all relish in that glorious fact :)

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Ladies of YA Podcast

Ladies of YA Podcast
Joins us for tea & book chat!

The VeganYANerds

My Photo
We're a bunch of YA-loving vegans!

Rating Guide

5 paws = LOVED it
4 paws = really liked it
3 paws = liked it
2 paws = didn't like it
1 paw = really didn't like it/not for me/couldn't finish

Followers

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Favourite Book Blogs

Grab our blog button!

Grab our blog button!

AWW 2013 Challenge

AWW 2013 Challenge
Read books by Aussie women!

Blog header by My Zoetrope

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Search

Loading...