Wednesday, 21 November 2012


Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samanntha Van Leer
Published June 26 by Simon Pulse
Rating: 4 paws


From the blurb: Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.

I picked this up on a whim. In fact, I've never (quite proudly) read a single Jodi Picoult book. I've stayed away from them because they seemed too contrived, too Nicholas Sparks-ish. Basically, I didn't want to be made to feel a certain way even if the story itself stunk.

This story did not stink, and may have changed my opinion of Jodi Picoult. That doesn't mean I'll rush out and get every book she's ever written, but it does make me assess my former opinion of her. This book is delightful. The mother and daughter team wrote a story that can appeal to all ages and, I'm a little careful to assert, genders. It is the perfect book for readers, writers, and anyone in between who can really appreciate a good story.


18 comments:

Kristin said...

Thanks for being honest. I've never read one of her books either. Glad to hear it didn't stink LoL

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiners Book Blog) said...

I have this one and want to read it. Glad that you at least semi enjoyed.
Happy reading,
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

April (BooksandWine) said...

Was the ending a big cop out? I mean, every single Picoult book I have ever read there was like a big controversial issue and rather than take a stance, the ending becomes a total cop out so I was like I am never reading a book by her again. But this sounds good, and I like delightful so maybe I will try it. :-)

Alex (A Girl, Books, OtherThings) said...

You know, sometimes with Jodi Picoult I feel like she's toying with my feelings on purpose, which is why I've only read one of her books, my sister's keeper, all the way though, though I have started a few others.

I'm glad this book wasn't all bad :D

Belle said...

I have this but haven't read it yet because I'm weary of Jodi Picoult. The premise does sound great though.

Katja Weinert said...

Hi Geanna, I'm glad you enjoyed it, Between the Lines is on my reading list. I loved JP's "My Sister's Keeper" and loathed her "Songs of the Humpback Whale"...and most of her books have been like that for me - love or hate.

Livvy said...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it because I saw a very negative review and it really put me off.

I really like Jodi Picoult actually, and I wouldn't call her Nicholas Spark-ish but that's just me.

Glad you decided to give something different a try! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

That's great you enjoy this one. There have been some negative reviews...and it sounds so different from her normal work...regardless, I'm curious to still check it out.

I love Jodi's books (from what I've read) but I can see how they might not be everyone's type of read.

-Lauren

Erin W. said...

LOVED this book! Would've have totally loved this one back when I was a kid . . . so great. Fab review!

speculatef said...

The blurb sounds really good! I'll admit after reading The Pact, I have never wanted to read another J. Picoult book because they make me cry and wail and it's really not pretty :p But this sounds pretty cool, I will have to get a copy I think! Thanks for this wonderful review that's made me reconsider :-)

Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic.

Mel@Thedailyprophecy. said...

A lot of people say that this book reminds them of a fairytale - and that is my favorite thing in the world :D So I'm definitely going to pick this one up!

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

Bailey said...

I haven't read anything by this author either but I do know that this book is on my TBR list. I can remember people talking a lot about this book. So glad to hear this was a delightful read! Can't wait to finally start this one! :D

Sam said...

I am another to have never read anything by Jodi Picoult, and I've heard good things about this one, but still, my interest has been limited. ;) I think you may have finally convinced me! I'm glad to hear you liked it. :)

Cass (Words on Paper) said...

I'll admit that my biggest 'like' for this book was the presentation. Maybe that's saying something about the book itself, that it wasn't the story or the writing or the characters that kept me going... they were all alright in my opinion, but it never stepped over from good to amazing. Still, it was a fun read. :)

Renu said...

I haven't read anything by this author either, but I have been intrigued by this book for a while now. Think you may have just gave me the push I need to buy myself a copy! ;)

Leah said...

Add me to team Picoult Newbie. I always kind of lumped her in with the Nora Roberts/Danielle Steel crowd. I see her books constantly at work and she definitely sells well, but I never felt I was her target audience. This book though caught my eye. I've noticed a LOT of adult authors are trying out their hand at YA (Harlan Coben, Philippa Gregory, Faye Kellerman, etc etc). Interestingly, Kellerman's YA book is also a joint project with her daughter.

Novels On The Run said...

I have not ever read a Jodi book either and I have this one. You have made me want to read it sooner. I did like the cover of my copy and the pics inside. It sounded a nice read for children:D

Mich

Jenn said...

I liked this one too and like you had never read a Jodi Picoult novel. I agree that while I probably won't rush out and read everything I am a bit more inclined to risk it.

I just loved how creative the plot was and Oliver was a wonderful hero. Plus, I think that every reader would love it if their favorite novels could come to life.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Ladies of YA Podcast

Ladies of YA Podcast
Joins us for tea & book chat!

The VeganYANerds

My Photo
We're a bunch of YA-loving vegans!

Rating Guide

5 paws = LOVED it
4 paws = really liked it
3 paws = liked it
2 paws = didn't like it
1 paw = really didn't like it/not for me/couldn't finish

Followers

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Favourite Book Blogs

Grab our blog button!

Grab our blog button!

AWW 2013 Challenge

AWW 2013 Challenge
Read books by Aussie women!

Blog header by My Zoetrope

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Search

Loading...